Nelson Lakes National Park
Planning a tramp, even if it is only a day trip, can take time. I am always looking for inspiration on places to go, what’s on offer, amenities like huts, distance from home, and of course have I been there before.
While I don’t often repeat trips, especially if they are far from home, I will go back to the same area, like Nelson Lakes National Park, in the hopes of ticking off every hut and track.
The great thing about Nelson Lakes is that you can go back so many times and experience different places and people. No trip has ever been boring.
The Department of Conservation have some great online resources on the area, everything can be found here.
I should make mention that this is in no way a complete list of trips that can be done. It would be well worth looking at the topo map for Nelson Lakes and checking out all the possible links that can make up a great day, overnight or multiday trip. If you’ve done something that isn’t on this list tell us!!
- Bushline Hut https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/nelson-tasman/places/nelson-lakes-national-park/things-to-do/huts/bushline-hut/
- Speargrass Hut https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/nelson-tasman/places/nelson-lakes-national-park/things-to-do/huts/speargrass-hut/
- Lake Angelus https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/nelson-tasman/places/nelson-lakes-national-park/things-to-do/huts/angelus-hut/
- Lake Rotoiti Circuit https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/nelson-tasman/places/nelson-lakes-national-park/things-to-do/tracks/lake-rotoiti-circuit/
- Whiskey Falls https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/nelson-tasman/places/nelson-lakes-national-park/things-to-do/tracks/whisky-falls/
- Lake Angelus Hut https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/nelson-tasman/places/nelson-lakes-national-park/things-to-do/huts/angelus-hut/
- Mt Misery Hut https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/nelson-tasman/places/nelson-lakes-national-park/things-to-do/huts/mount-misery-hut/
- Blue Lake Hut https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/nelson-tasman/places/nelson-lakes-national-park/things-to-do/huts/blue-lake-hut/
- Speargrass Hut – Angelus Hut – return via Robert Ridge
- Coldwater Hut – Angelus Hut via Cascade Track – return via Speargrass Track or Robert Ridge
- Lake Rotoiti Circuit extended – Whiskey Falls, Travers Hut, Hopeless Hut https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/nelson-tasman/places/nelson-lakes-national-park/things-to-do/huts/hopeless-hut/
- Speargrass Hut – Angelus Hut (Mt Angelus & Sunset Saddle side trip) – Cedric Route – Sabine Hut – Misery Hut – Speargrass Hut https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/nelson-tasman/places/nelson-lakes-national-park/things-to-do/huts/angelus-hut/
- Travers-Sabine Circuit https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/nelson-tasman/places/nelson-lakes-national-park/things-to-do/tracks/travers-sabine-circuit/
- Begley Saddle https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/nelson-tasman/places/upper-wairau-river-area/things-to-do/huts/begley-hut/
- Waiau Pass https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/west-coast/places/lewis-pass-scenic-reserve/things-to-do/tracks/lewis-pass-waiau-pass-blue-lake-route/
- D’urville Hut – Tiraumea Hut – Mole Hut – Downie Hut – East Matakitaki Hut – David Saddle – Upper D’Urville Hut – George Lyon Hut – Morgan Hut – D’Urville Hut https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/nelson-tasman/places/nelson-lakes-national-park/things-to-do/huts/tiraumea-hut/